Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pussy Riot: "I Can't Breathe" (new music video)

Seven, Pat Macpherson, Amber Larson, Wisdom Quarterly; punk band Pussy Riot, Feb. 18, '15
Who is "Pussy Riot"? It's open to everyone. So anyone who dons a colorful baklava and gets active striving for peace, justice, and equality qualifies (pussy-riot.livejournal.com/WQ).
(PussyRiotVideo) Conceived, directed, produced by Pussy Riot with Director of Photography and Editor Mikhail Vihrov. Vocals: Sasha Klokova (Jack Wood), Matt Kulakov (Scofferlane), Richard Hell, lyrics: Matt Kulakov (Scofferlane), monologue of Eric Garner: Richard Hell, bit: Andrew Wyatt, piano, bass: Nick Zinner, drums: Shahzad Ismaily.

"Every woman is a riot."
Pussy Riot's first song in English is dedicated to Eric Garner -- unarmed black citizen killed by New York police on Staten Island -- and the words he repeated 11 times before he was killed.

This song is for Garner and for all those from Russia to America and around the globe who suffer from state terror and oppression -- choked, killed, perishing because of war and state-sponsored violence of all kinds -- for political prisoners and those on the streets being activists for change. We stand in solidarity with them.

Nadya, founder of Pussy Riot, during her post Russian Church music video trial.
 
In the video Pussy Riot's Masha and Nadya are being buried alive in Russian riot police uniforms that are worn during violent clashes by police attacking protesters demanding positive for change in Russia. A pack of "Russian Spring" brand cigarettes is on the ground at the beginning.

"Russian Spring" is a term used by those in love with Russia's aggressive militant actions in Ukraine, and the cigarettes are real.

"I Can't Breathe" was recorded in New York in December 2014 during demonstrations against police brutality together with Pussy Riot, Richard Hell, Nick Zinner, Andrew Wyatt, Shahzad Ismaily (The Ceramic Dog)v and Russian bands Jack Wood and Scofferlane.

The Occupy Wall Street movement lives on at Occupy.com. Nadia meets Cecily.
.
LYRICS
He's become his death/ The spark of the riots/ That's the way he's blessed/To stay alive.// It never leads to an end/ It's never getting quiet/ If it's unfair, my friend,/Make up your mind// It's getting dark in New York City/ It's getting dark in New York City/ It's getting tight in New York City/ I need to catch my breath// You know this world of hate/ You know this stubborn light/ They're in the prayers you pray/ Late at night// We're only half way down/ Who dares to take a breath?/ Some fairness might be found/ From ashes of his death.

Eric Garner's last words: "Get away. [Garbled] For what? Every time you see me, you want to mess with me. I'm tired of it. It stops today. Why would you...? Everyone standing here will tell you I didn't do nothing. I did not sell nothing. Because every time you see me, you want to harass me. You want to stop me [garbled] selling cigarettes. I'm minding my business, officer. I'm minding my business. Please just leave me alone. I told you the last time, please just leave me alone. Please, please, don't touch me. Do not touch me. [Garbled] I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe."

No comments: