Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Saffron Revolution: gloom one year later


Monks participated in the protests in large numbers. Many monks want to make the next revolution but the government is putting more limitations on them (BBC).

A year has passed since popular protests against Burma's ruling junta filled the streets of Rangoon. A military crackdown finally brought the demonstrations to an end weeks after they began. Here Burmese describe their gloom and pessimism about the future.

WIN, RANGOON: "I took part in the events on the street last year. Nothing has obviously changed in this time except our people are getting poorer and poorer. I feel pessimistic about the future. The UN can't take any effective action against our government. They talk a lot but there is no action.

And the cyclone has not affected the political atmosphere at all. In fact, after the cyclone, our people have had to face inflation and many more troubles than before. But people are talking about what happened last year. They don't forget about it. Many monks want to make the next revolution but the government is putting more limitations on monks because the first anniversary of the September revolt is getting close.
.
AUNG, RANGOON: I didn't take part in the protests last year. But I was a leader in the 1988 protest in my home town and I was imprisoned and fired from my government post. I believe nothing will change and no-one can make the regime change because they have guns. I feel pessimistic about the future of our country if the junta is in power. As long as they stay in power no one can help us. More>>

No comments: