Thursday, September 4, 2008

Nagas: Snake SAFETY Meditation

Modern terrestrial Naga (KNBC.com)

Primates (including humans) and horses tend to instinctively dread snakes. (Science has shown they react with repulsion even to the sinuous shape without ever having been exposed to the real thing, so it is not a matter of acculturation or learning).

Vipers have long filled the horrid imagination of our species. In ancient India the Buddha faced the same fear among people. But he taught a meditation that if frequently practiced would lead venomous serpents from biting one. And if sincerely practiced after one was bitten, death from the bite could be avoided.

That meditation was the counter-intuitive practice of sending loving-kindness (metta) to the Four (mythical) Families of Snakes. Apparently, fear of snakes is more harmful than venom.

The texts do not distinguish "snakes" from extraterres-trial "Reptilians" (semi-human/semi-supernatural, mentioned in the Book of Protection and visible to assiduous meditators), fire-breathing dragons, river eels, sea-serpents, or other vipers which long ago injected themselves into the religious lore of traditions around the world. They were all referred to as Nagas. And in India they were seen as human overlords, Naga Kings, ruling through bloodlines. They were also the name given to a particularly fierce and savage tribe of warriors in the Northeast part of the country still known as Nagaland.

Protective Meditation
See below.

Pet Python Squeezes, Bites American Teen: Girl Rescued
(KNBC.com, 9/4/08)

A Las Vegas teen is recovering after being attacked by her 15-foot, 40-pound Burmese python.
The girl's father said he was forced to kill the snake to save his daughter. Family members said they never imagined the pet they loved would attack. "She was wrapped around my ribs and every time I moved she'd squeeze them tighter so I couldn't breathe," 13-year-old Katherine said.

Family members spoke to reporters because they said they wanted to remind people about the dangers of having these animals as pets, but they declined to have their faces shown on camera or provide their last names.

Katherine's uncle and her father came to her rescue. "As I was untangling (the snake), it was wrapping around me and her both," the uncle said. "It had my feet tied together." The python wasn't budging. "(I) stuck my hand between (its) mouth and (Katherine's) leg, where the snake had a bite. It wouldn't come off, (so I) grabbed a knife, and I cut the snake's head," the girl's father explained.

For four years prior to the attack, the snake, named Victoria, had lived at the family's home inside a large, locked tank. When Victoria broke out, she slithered her way into Katherine's room. "I'm just glad they were there because I don't know what I would have done if I was there by myself," Katherine said.

With Katherine having survived the ordeal, she, her father and her uncle said they've learned a valuable lesson: "If you've got children in the house, you shouldn't have (a Burmese Python)," Katherine's father said. "If you have one of your own, pay attention."

Protection from Snakes (Paritta*)
Ven. Piyadassi

Thus have I heard: On one occasion the Blessed One was living near Savatthi at Jetavana at Anathapindika's monastery. At that time at Savatthi a certain monk had died of a snakebite.

Thereupon many recluses (bhikkhus) approached the Buddha and having saluted him sat beside him. So seated those recluses spoke thus to the Blessed One:

"Venerable Sir (Bhante), a certain recluse at Savatthi has died bitten by a snake."

"Assuredly, recluses," said the Buddha, "that monk did not suffuse with thoughts of loving-kindness (metta) the Four Royal Tribes of Snakes. Had he done so, that monk would not have died of snakebite.

"What are the Four Royal Tribes of Snakes? The royal tribe of snakes called Virupakkha, Erapatha, Chabyaputta, and Kanhagotamaka.

"Recluses, that monk, did not suffuse with thoughts of loving-kindness these four royal tribes of snakes. Had he done so, he would not have died of snakebite. Recluses, I enjoin you to suffuse with [unbounded] thoughts of loving-kindness these four royal tribes of snakes for your safety, for your preservation, and for your protection."

So said the Blessed One. Having thus spoken, the Buddha, the "Welcome One" (Sugata), further said (suggesting how they should express themselves):

1. May I have metta towards Virupakkhas
Towards Erapathas may I have metta
May my metta be towards Chabyaputtas
Towards Kanhagotamakas also metta may I have.

2. May I have mietta towards the footless
And towards bipeds too, my metta may I have
May I have metta towards the quadrupeds
And towards the many-footed also, metta may I have.

3. Let not the footless do me harm
Nor those that have two feet
Let not quadrupeds do me harm
Nor those endowed with many feet.

4. All beings, all living creatures,
May good fortune befall them all
May not the least harm on them befall.

"Unbounded (in virtue) is the Buddha, unbounded is the Dharma, unbounded is the Sangha. Finite are creeping creatures — snakes, scorpions, centipedes, spiders, lizards, and rats. I have guarded myself, I have made my protection. Depart from me, ye beings. I pay homage to the Blessed One and to the seven Supreme Buddhas" (Vipassi, Sikhi, Vessabhu, Kakusanda, Konagama, Kassapa, and Gautama).

*Khandha Paritta: Culla Vagga, ii. p. 110; also in the Anguttara under the title Ahi (metta) Sutra, ii.72; Khandha-Vatta Jataka, 203.

Ancient Reptilians in art (click to enlarge, Wikipedia)

Prehistoric Nāgas
Legends abound from Cambodia to Israel, from Norway to Laos, and exist among the tribal Hindus of Southern India (Adivasis) and the aboriginals of Australia. Nāgas are said to have inhabited a massive continent that existed somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. The warrior or kshatriya community of Kerala Nairs, who are believed to be descendants of Nagas (bloodline), have a small forest grove dedicated to Nagas (Wikipedia).

No comments: